Posted by: mutantpoodle | March 21, 2012
No time for a long post, but a few tidbits:
- From MSNBC: “A suspect wanted in connection with the killing three children and a rabbi at a Jewish school wounded three police officers in a shootout at a house in Toulouse, France, on Wednesday.”
- I am not a political operative, but maybe, if you’re a candidate whose ideology is already perceived as, say, flexible, then your spokesman shouldn’t compare your positions to things that are created on an etch-a-sketch. And God bless Charlie Pierce, who finds the appropriate Star Trek clip for the occasion.
- It always seemed like a lie, and the evidence is now overwhelming: William Rehnquist (and not Justice Jackson) thought the Supreme Court should uphold Plessy vs. Ferguson. (More on this from Scott Lemieux at LGM here.) By my count, that’s two modern GOP SCOTUS nominees who have demonstrably lied under oath, number two being, of course, Clarence Thomas.
- Speaking of the Supreme Court, it (meaning the you-know-who five) continues to struggle with following the clear intent of laws passed by Congress.
- It looks like George Zimmerman may have, er, misrepresented the facts of his encounter with Trayvon Martin. Being caught on the 911 tape muttering “f*%king coons” under his breath probably won’t help, either.
- In the annals of idiotic nontroversies, this may be the most idiotic, and we can thank Newt Gingrich, bastion of racial sensitivity, for that.
- Now that GOP legislatures and governors have decided to go all-in (as it were) on controlling women’s uteri, some women are getting payback. Also: The Snatchel Project, which provides patterns for women to “Knit or crochet a vagina or uterus” to send to GOP representatives. “If they have their own, they can leave ours alone!”
- Finally, an palate cleanser: A deaf community college student greets President Obama at a ropeline, and signs “I am proud of you,” and the President, not missing a beat, signs back “thank you.”